Exhaust for old boring people

93SVT

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
I’m not exactly old (40) but I would fall into the boring category. I have flowmaster, unsure which series….50? Is that a thing?

Anyway it’s probably a BIT loud for what I’m looking for. I still want it to sound good but not excessively loud…maybe more at heavier throttle and not too crazy at normal throttle. Are you guys running anything or recommend anything that might fall into that category?

I have no cats and a borla X or Y or whatever pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a lot of discussions about that on ASAP's "Upgrades" thread. You're definitely not the only person trying to tame the beast a little.

FWIW, I was still in my 30s when I got tired of loud. At the time, my truck had dual exhaust with Warlocks and turndowns on it. I got tired of having to yell at my passengers. Dan Murney's truck with dual Flowmasters and turndowns was so loud that hearing protection was legitimately required.

The noise level of my truck on the highway was so grating that it convinced me to go turbo. She's quiet now. :)

I ran Walker DynoMax on my 97 Tbird Sport and really liked them - throaty sound that was just loud enough to hear over all the background noise at idle.

Currently running Magnaflow knock-offs with hi-flow cats on the L - they're a little louder at WOT than the Walkers and have a nice low rumble to them. Have gotten several comments on how good they sound without being obnoxiously loud.

Been a lot of discussions about that on ASAP's "Upgrades" thread. You're definitely not the only person trying to tame the beast a little.

FWIW, I was still in my 30s when I got tired of loud. At the time, my truck had dual exhaust with Warlocks and turndowns on it. I got tired of having to yell at my passengers. Dan Murney's truck with dual Flowmasters and turndowns was so loud that hearing protection was legitimately required.

The noise level of my truck on the highway was so grating that it convinced me to go turbo. She's quiet now. :)
Yeah...freakishly quite for what it's capable of!

I ran Walker DynoMax on my 97 Tbird Sport and really liked them - throaty sound that was just loud enough to hear over all the background noise at idle.

Currently running Magnaflow knock-offs with hi-flow cats on the L - they're a little louder at WOT than the Walkers and have a nice low rumble to them. Have gotten several comments on how good they sound without being obnoxiously loud.

Do the knockoffs have a name? I’m definitely liking the price of the Walkers over the magnaflow haha

That’s hilarious I also used to have those warlocks

If your not planning on over 500hp you may want to think about something like 2.5 dual to single 3 inch and over the rear out the back. There are several f250 tail pipes out there that would be a good start.

Do the knockoffs have a name? I’m definitely liking the price of the Walkers over the magnaflow haha

Got them from a muffler shop in 2012 - don’t know what brand - your muffler shop or parts store should be able to point you in the right direction.

Funny that you guys started this thread the same day I finished the full exhaust on my '05 Grand Marquis. She loud(ish)! Very rumbly at idle. Not at all what I expected; but very happy that she is running again. I will play with her over the weekend to see if I can get her out of the driveway without scraping the exhaust (built it myself except for the headers). That was the problem I had with the Crown Vic when I put the Malibu drag springs on that car. Had to use ramps to get her in and out of the driveway. I used those same mufflers (Dynomax# 17749) for the 1st dual exhaust upgrade on the Crown Vic. They made that car very quiet. Not sure why they are as loud as they are on my car. Could be that it's a SOHC vs the Crown Vic pushrod V8; and/or the longtubes that I am using for my Grand Marquis; I don't know. Surprisingly, my Dad liked the way it sounded. He is usually the one to say something/complain about the noise. I was taken aback by the role reversal; as I am the one now complainng about the volume. He may be going deaf; something I will need to keep an eye on. Also will see next weekend what she sounds like with a little load.

I’m not exactly old (40) but I would fall into the boring category. I have flowmaster, unsure which series….50? Is that a thing?

Anyway it’s probably a BIT loud for what I’m looking for. I still want it to sound good but not excessively loud…maybe more at heavier throttle and not too crazy at normal throttle. Are you guys running anything or recommend anything that might fall into that category?

I have no cats and a borla X or Y or whatever pipe

2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo's are fairly loud at WOT but tame while cruising. Definitely less obnoxious than FM 40 or 50 series.

18" Magnaflow's are pretty quiet when cruising, but may resonate to much for your ears. Summit Racing use to sale a Magnaflow knock-off. Not sure if it is currently available.

Quietest mufflers I’ve tried so far is the Walker Quiet Flow SS. Remind me of an old school turbo muffler. Sound great!

I’m with you on them not being loud. My exhaust is some custom stuff I clamped together. I have mine dumped right now before rear axle. I need to get the pipes finished over the axles and out next. I get a little drone. I have 2 summit racing chambered mufflers. I’ve used Dyno max super turbo mufflers before and liked them.

My 95 has a full Bassani rear exit and I always had compliments on the WOT sound at the strip but it just has a noticeable rumble at cruise. I had dual 2.5" Dynomax SuperTurbos on the 93 with a Bassani catless off-road pipe and it was just a tad deeper but my old man ears loved it.

I ended up getting rid of the side exit and dumped it underneath. Added some resonators also. I like it like it much better. Way less obnoxious
a34a1b4090568c4621dd9f8f266562e4.jpg
66caeedcb758ab468bcad411dcc2d708.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I’m with you on them not being loud. My exhaust is some custom stuff I clamped together. I have mine dumped right now before rear axle. I need to get the pipes finished over the axles and out next. I get a little drone. I have 2 summit racing chambered mufflers. I’ve used Dyno max super turbo mufflers before and liked them.

Depending on what the insurance does, I have a over the axle 3” I may be selling. Let me know if interested.
dd2af222af37da487326cddc86a74886.jpg

Back