Driveshaft sensor wiring

dreamweaver3045

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
So I’ve finished up with the 8.8 build, but had to add a Motionworks driveshaft sensor to the pinion yoke since the strac diff doesn’t allow for a reluctor wheel. I’m having trouble getting the signal to the quick 4 and so I’m stuck with a manual 2 speed lol. I’ve adjusted the settings for the Hall effect 16 pulse setup in the quick 4, but still no go. Any help would be appreciated.

So I’ve finished up with the 8.8 build, but had to add a Motionworks driveshaft sensor to the pinion yoke since the strac diff doesn’t allow for a reluctor wheel. I’m having trouble getting the signal to the quick 4 and so I’m stuck with a manual 2 speed lol. I’ve adjusted the settings for the Hall effect 16 pulse setup in the quick 4, but still no go. Any help would be appreciated.

You used the supplied Cherry hall sensor right? Are you using 12v or 5v to power it? Also where are you grounding it?

You used the supplied Cherry hall sensor right? Are you using 12v or 5v to power it? Also where are you grounding it?
I did use the supplied Motionworks hall sensor. I’m honestly not sure what the voltage is. I’ll have to check it in a few. I went cheap and grounded it to the chassis.

The Q4 "manumatic" mode works great for overcoming those kind of frustrations. It's one thing I really wish the PxS could do. Being able to push button it into up and down shifts using the cruise control keys got me home several times when the Q4 freaked out.

I did use the supplied Motionworks hall sensor. I’m honestly not sure what the voltage is. I’ll have to check it in a few. I went cheap and grounded it to the chassis.
OK, when using those sensors you need to use a resistor (called a pull-up) across the voltage supply wire and the output wire. Below is the chart, I would imagine you're using 12v, but def make sure. Also it is best to ground the sensor to the same signal/sensor ground that the Quick 4 is using. This eliminates an offset between the two devices due to different grounds. WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF AFTERMARKET WIRING :)

Pullup Chart.JPG

The Q4 "manumatic" mode works great for overcoming those kind of frustrations. It's one thing I really wish the PxS could do. Being able to push button it into up and down shifts using the cruise control keys got me home several times when the Q4 freaked out.
Didn’t even realize that was an option lol. Now I feel like an idiot after that 30 mph ride to get it dropped off for detailing and ceramic coating.

OK, when using those sensors you need to use a resistor (called a pull-up) across the voltage supply wire and the output wire. Below is the chart, I would imagine you're using 12v, but def make sure. Also it is best to ground the sensor to the same signal/sensor ground that the Quick 4 is using. This eliminates an offset between the two devices due to different grounds. WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF AFTERMARKET WIRING :)

View attachment 103684
I read about installing them, but wasn’t sure if it would be required. I’m dumb when it comes to the electronic side in the automotive world. I wire houses and 200 amp mains all the time, but this is beyond my knowledge.

I read about installing them, but wasn’t sure if it would be required. I’m dumb when it comes to the electronic side in the automotive world. I wire houses and 200 amp mains all the time, but this is beyond my knowledge.
All good, until I started building my wiring harness for my Megasquirt I thought pull-ups were a Huggies product ;)

Didn’t even realize that was an option lol. Now I feel like an idiot after that 30 mph ride to get it dropped off for detailing and ceramic coating.
You have to set it up. Single wire to one of the cruise control wires. Then with a series of button pushes, it turns the speed up speed down buttons into up and down shifts until you turn it off.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

You have to set it up. Single wire to one of the cruise control wires. Then with a series of button pushes, it turns the speed up speed down buttons into up and down shifts until you turn it off.

That’s awesome

??? I thought we were talking about a speed sensor?

I’m still fighting this issue. So I measured the quick shift 4 +vss wire to ground and have 3v. I still couldn’t get a speed signal to the quick4 looking at the speed at the controller. I then installed a 1k resister with no results. At a lost now.

I’m still fighting this issue. So I measured the quick shift 4 +vss wire to ground and have 3v. I still couldn’t get a speed signal to the quick4 looking at the speed at the controller. I then installed a 1k resister with no results. At a lost now.
OK, so let's break this down as this sensor will output a pulse not a constant voltage

Are you supplying 12v to the power wire of the sensor? Or are you supplying 5V? A 1K resistor is for 5V
Where are you getting the 5V from?
Where are you grounding the sensor?
What is the gap between the sensor and the ring?
Is the sensor lined up so that the ring is roughly centered in the sensor end? See pic below for reference.

20210531_195905349_iOS.jpg

Praise the Lord I figured it out. I learned a lot by working through this issue. I was trying to let the vss+ be my supply voltage which was my issue. I ended up pulling a 12 volt switch power to the sensor and wiring to the green vss+ for my signal wire to the quick shift. Soldered in a 2.2k resistor and it’s working like a champ. Thanks for all the help.

Praise the Lord I figured it out. I learned a lot by working through this issue. I was trying to let the vss+ be my supply voltage which was my issue. I ended up pulling a 12 volt switch power to the sensor and wiring to the green vss+ for my signal wire to the quick shift. Soldered in a 2.2k resistor and it’s working like a champ. Thanks for all the help.
Awesome, glad you got it worked out!

Back