cam questions

P

I want to put a new cam in my 94. I'm not sure which one to go with, can anyone recommend a good cam? I was also wondering if I would have to replace the whole valvetrain with it? (springs, lifters, rockers, etc.) I have 63500 miles on the truck and all the parts are stock. I use the truck for everyday driving with some track use once in awhile on the weekends.

No question, call Terry at CAm Motion. Hell design a cam for you and make it too. He can design it for what ever your combo / goals are. And it wont cost you more than an off the shelf (if you stay flat tappet).

You should replace the valve springs and lifters. Rockers is up to you, but since your in there why not?

Do you have his number? I give him a call and see what happens.

Actually, if you're going to stay with a mild naturally aspirated motor, the Crane Lightning cam is an excellent choice. People get very good numbers from this cam, it keeps good low end torque, and it is speed density friendly.

I agree with Chuck if you plan on a power adder, though. Cam Motion (225) 926-6110 will grind the cam to the power adder you choose and the rest of your combo. They can also do a good cam for a nearly stock truck and make it do just what you want... just wanted you to be aware of the Crane cam.

I've had two Cam Motion cams, and Trace's car is now sporting one too.

The stock valve springs are barely adequate for the stock cam and the stock rockers are the plain ol' Ford stamped steel junk. So, in my opinion, if you do a cam swap, you'll want to do valve springs and rockers as well. New lifters are required when you change a flat tappet cam.

Later!
Jeff S.

I dont have his number here at work, but Ill bring it tomorrow. I know Jeff S has it too.

oops, never mind. I guess I should read before replying.

Thanks for the help, I'll probably try the crane cam and som FMS rockers and springs.

Back