#439 build thread

More fluid really only slows the rate of temperature rise. So, if you're getting higher temps for bursts something like an uphill slog here and there, then the extra fluid may do the trick.

Yeah I noticed it took longer to heat up in a 30 minute test drive, but I wasn't towing either. It eventually got to 192, but it was also 95 with about 80% humidity that day... so HOT!!! It was about the same conditions last time I towed so I'm not really sure I've remedied the issue yet.

I'm wondering if bypassing the cooler in the radiator might help? Once the engine gets up to temp I'm not sure much cooling is really happening there and if anything it's just helping to keep the trans fluid temps higher, whereas a air-to-air cooler like the HD towing cooler might a better option. If anything bypass the radiator cooler and add a second or larger auxiliary cooler.

Yeah I noticed it took longer to heat up in a 30 minute test drive, but I wasn't towing either. It eventually got to 192, but it was also 95 with about 80% humidity that day... so HOT!!! It was about the same conditions last time I towed so I'm not really sure I've remedied the issue yet.

I'm wondering if bypassing the cooler in the radiator might help? Once the engine gets up to temp I'm not sure much cooling is really happening there and if anything it's just helping to keep the trans fluid temps higher, whereas a air-to-air cooler like the HD towing cooler might a better option. If anything bypass the radiator cooler and add a second or larger auxiliary cooler.
Don't forget that you don't have to run the trans cooler in front of radiator. You can relocate it under the bed or cab. You just need a cooler and a fan.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

On my old truck, I had the coolers mounted to the front skid plate. On my LS-swapped 2-door Blazer, I had the cooler underneath, next to the transmission opposite the exhaust, mounted at an angle. Didn't even have a fan on it, and it worked great.

Got my Caltracs and Airlift helper bags installed this week. Not a bad install… may need to adjust the preload on the Caltracs a bit once the springs settle back into place. Glad I went with them instead of long bars… tucked up more and not quite the eyesore.

b64f2788f8a49d3b4fb60ad14f1d8896.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My f350 runs at 195-205 trans temperature towing 25,000 lbs. or hauling sunshine. My c4 with 3800 stall ran over 200° all the time with a small cooler and fan below the truck. Let me know how the cal-tracs work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My f350 runs at 195-205 trans temperature towing 25,000 lbs. or hauling sunshine. My c4 with 3800 stall ran over 200° all the time with a small cooler and fan below the truck. Let me know how the cal-tracs work for you.

I think I’ll have to eventually delete the stock radiator cooler and add a second larger cooler or one with a fan on it. Will have to see once the intercooler get mounted and how much space I have left up front.

Have you gotten the MAF conversion installed yet?

Yes. I had the MAF with a A9L computer running very strong but I recently went to the PiMPxs that uses the newer SD technology.

Yes. I had the MAF with a A9L computer running very strong but I recently went to the PiMPxs that uses the newer SD technology.

That’s right… it’s your buddy Steven that bought my old kit. Did he get it installed? Just wondering how it all worked out.

He’s still working on it. He’s slow with his projects. Lol, tinkerer.

Hey I’ve been trying to get a turbo for over 20 years now… I’ve got no problem with others slow progress!

Looking good!

I recently picked up a LONG awaited Turbo setup myself! Now to find a more permanent place to work on the truck, not too convenient in storage ;k

Just a few things to add while preparing for turbo install hopefully to start in Jan...

Copperhead driveshaft loop
Quantum 340lph rear pump assembly
Removed front tank
PSD front bumper mocked up

IT’S FINALLY HAPPENING!!! Dropped my truck off at the fabricator last week so hopefully in 6-8 weeks (if his schedule holds) I’ll have a functioning turbo! I’m very excited because this builder does amazing work and has a real eye for detail. He’s not the cheapest by any means, but he’s the only builder that actually wanted to do the work near me and I’d rather have quality than junk. My build will actually be mild-manners compared to most of his recent jobs.

If you have IG check out some of his work.
https://instagram.com/morganperformancefabrication?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I clicked the link. Sure looks like he knows his way around a welder. Cant wait to see the kit he builds for you.

Yea man! That’s going to be sweet! Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Still waiting on some exhaust parts for fab, but the intercooler is completed and fully mounted… and it’s freaking HUGE looking!!! He used a 25”x9”x3.5 a vertical Treadstone core, then welded end tanks to it after modifying the bottom tank. This is an effort to retain the fog lights. I’ll never outgrown this thing! The first pic gives scale to just how big the core is… it will look so good behind the SD bumper!

I can’t believe I’m about to admit this because the purists will have a stroke, then reanimate just to slap me… but I gave him the okay to hack on the fog light brackets some to clear the intercooler, but he says they are just as sturdy as before.

015ad647f57e5530c4102438b812d929.jpg

e37c5311f2b08b95de374d3cbd4ba88b.jpg

d25a66e9316040ddfa951f7afcbfdf06.jpg

a023ff319a8cb8a481506fa664d29c89.jpg

22890dbd9935296596abc0282d3f48b3.jpg

I notched one of my brackets for the intercooler support. Of course, that was 20 years ago, before they were worth a third of the value of the whole truck!

Last edited:
Back