2k to spend; need shopping list please!

R

roger

A friend at work has a 1st Generation Lightning and is getting ready to spend some dollars on performance improvements. What he would like to know is what he can do for an investment of $2,000.00 and about what sort of gains he could expect.

Gains don't all have to be powertrain involved, but could be suspension if that sort of improvement is needed (he's more into mashing the gas than the twisties). One important detail is that it needs to be dependable enough to be the daily-driver without a lot of maintenance (owner works a 50-60 hour workweek, so free time is at a premium).

If there is a specific shopping list-type faq or similar, could someone be so kind as to point me in that direction. I looked though the various subject lines here, but only found individual items.

Thanks in advance.

Underdrive pulleys, Headers, Custom exhaust, Eibach 2 inch springs, fresh air induction w/ K&N filter (diesel inlet tube), PSP chip programmed for his truck, Electric fan kit, 24lb injectors, PSP fuel tank switch (run both tank pumps at same time), MSD ignition 6-AL with rev-limiter, and a Shift kit. That should be close to around 2k and will cover most corners of performance short of forced induction and tearing into the block. Hope all this helps.
Jason N.
95 Red #225

Jason,

The setup you mentions looks like it is for someone planning on going with a blower. I do not see why a non blown, non N2O truck would need 24# injectors, the PSP dual pump relay kit, and the electric fan kit does not do much for performance. The fan kit does clean up the engine bay and make access easier.

After seeing what a torque converter can do for these trucks, I highly recommend that he purchase a PI converter. Then buy some underdrive puillies. These two mods alone dropped a very good friend of mine's truck from 9.7s to 9.4s in the eighth mile. He even saw one 9.3. On old stock Firestones, he cut a 60 ft time of 2.003.

After the pullies, I would have

After the pullies and TC, I would see how he feels about a little shot of nitrous. Nitrous works makes a plate kit that goes between the the TB and upper intake specifically for the L. He could then either bolt on some 1.7 RR and have a chip burned by Sal at PSP.

All of this should be right around 2000 bucks. Through on some cheap stell wheels and some slicks and he should be in for the ride of his life. HE will also want to invet in some traction bars such as the the Cal-Tracs or the Ranchos, even mount the Lakewood slappers upside down if he is not overly concerned with cornering prowess.

Oh, wait.... I forgot exhaust, he will want to dump the stock cats first and foremost, Bassani off road for 260 or Bassani cat pipe for 379. Stock headers should be OK for this application. Then some Flowmasters or Dynomax SuperTurbo or UltraFlos. He is still at about 2500.

Kevin Lewis

Here's a quick list to hit the 13s:

NOS #5115 "Dry" setup - 100hp jets for starters (can upgrade to 150 shot easily)

Sal's fuel pump trick

Headers and offroad pipe (maybe with cutouts welded in?)

Rancho Torque Arms

That'll be well under 2 grand and will net solid high-13 second passes. A torque converter would also make a ton of difference, should the budget expand a bit. A chip would not _necessarily_ be needed for this - tune with timing. Only thing a chip would help for at this level is tranny functions, which could be dealt with in a cheaper fashion with a shift kit.

Everyone has a little different recipe.....hope that helps.

- Kevin

I don't own them, but wouldn't the Rancho Torque Arms be a good purchase? Traction is important and tire spin makes ya slower.

Roger,
What do you plan to do with your truck? Drag race it, set it up to handle corner with ease, better mpgs. Before I spent any money, I would figure out what I want the truck to do. Mine has 100k on it and I replaced all the bushings with Energy Suspension bushings, and use Edelbrock shocks, Handles great. I've also done a little work on the engine and I'm very happy with the results.
To better help you get the most for your money, the group needs to know a little more from you about what you want your truck to do.

Ken,

He mentioned that his friend was "he's more into mashing the gas than the twisties. One important detail is that it needs to be dependable enough to be the daily-driver without a lot of maintenance."

The truck is not his, it is a friends, at least that is what we all say.

Denial is the first stage of addiction ;-)

Kevin Lewis

Gentlemen: First off, let me say I am gratefull at the amount of activity this has generated.

As I stated, the 1st gen. truck in question belongs to a friend at work and is not mine (I have a G2; NLOC #307)...anyways, this is his daily driver and I've not even seen it with my own eyes. We just talk lightnings whenever we get a chance, and he asked me about what mods he should do. I told him I didn't have that information but had a good idea on where to get it, so here I am <g>.

WHOOPS...that was wierd, heard a click and it posted. Anyways, back to the description, please bear with me.

The truck isn't garaged. It's a daily driver that's had to work for its supper and its condition reflects that from what I'm told. Because it has to haul things, NOS is pretty much out of the question (bottle(s) located in the bed would be a no-no).

Hope that clarifies the purpose a little better, and again, thanks a ton for all the discussion, he will be quite happy when he sees this-maybe even spend part of that $2k on a NLOC membership <g>...

Basically, the owner is crazy about the truck (something I think all of us can relate to), and just wants to 'kick a little you-know-what' on the street without skinnies and sticking 2-4's through the hood, etc.

Location is the midwest and we do experience ice, snow and below zero temps during the winter.

I would never put the bottle in my bed because I too use my truck like a pack mule. Heck, I used my 93's back bumper the other day to back into a 8" diameter wooden fence post over and over again to break it loose. Then we hooked up a chain and snatched that stubborn b***ard right out of the ground. Even good ol' Mother Earth did not have enough for the 118k mile Lightning!!!!

If he just does not want nitrous that is one thing. But he can mount the bottle behind the seat, takes up the width of about one seat and can be removed easily if need be.

My 95 is my daily driver and will be home to a Vortech S-Trim VERY shortly. I drive it about 70 miles a day. Nitrous was going to be my answer until I practically stole this blower. When he is not on the bottle, it IS a stock truck.

Kevin Lewis

.....BTW, I have my bottle located behind the driver's seat. Cover it with an old piece of matching carpet and leave the valve sticking out, so most people don't notice it if they are riding with me...

;)

But that's just me...

- Kevin

If he doesn't like nitrous, then buy a SVO/Powerdyne and call it good enough. $2000 well spent, just so he doesn't have big ambitions after that.

Later!
Jeff S.

I have to agree with Jeff. Bolt on a Powerdyne and be done with it Good bang for the buck........ Just my pennies worth

I 2nd The SVO Blower. $1946 delivered through Powered by Ford. Includes inline fuel pump and relay, Hobbs,FMU, shift kit and all necessary hardware complete install in about five hours and easy. Get the 2.7" pulley and makes 8lbs of boost that will hopefully get you in the high 13's. Then follow it up with a boost retard

HERE HERE on the powerdyne thats what Id get Im real close to 12s with mine.Havent been in the motor yet.He will love it.Its a good small blower.
Marcus Harrison
Teampowerdyne

Thanks a bunch for all the discussion. I'll be printing this out and give it to him tomorrow.

Back