Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

BAJA uses the same projectors (morimoto mini H1) that I retrofitted into my car. They are amazing upgrade. I wasn't overly impressed with the wiring on mine either but overall they are a huge upgrade in light output. They are on the list for future lightning upgrades for sure

I also drive a LOT of unlit 2-lanes in the dark (especially now) and see deer on a near-daily basis. The high beams with LEDs that I had weren't too bad, but low beams were pretty awful.

The lights were done by BajaHID Retrofits (https://www.bajahidretrofits.com/store/80-96-Ford-OBS-Headlight-Retrofits-c137141253), but there's no reason you couldn't do it yourself if you were so inclined. I'd rather pay for the expertise on something like this. I did all their available output upgrades, but none of the color-changing halos, etchings, or anything like that.

I'll take some better pictures - I'm actually happy with the way the look with the blacked-out one piece housings. It doesn't look nearly as googly-eyed when it's not poking into the lighted garage with a whole lot of perspective on the picture.

Last edited:
Nice mod! They sorta give that truck a little attitude.

When the headlight switch started going in the Crown Vic; I installed a headlight relay that was meant for my '82 Chevy C20 quad headlight conversion. That was a bandaid measure that improved the headlights. They were so much brighter after the install. Unfortunately the parking light portion of the headlight switch burned out not too long after. But when it was working, it was a vast improvement.

Installed the JBG Dash Support Bracket in the white truck today. Not a particularly difficult chore, and man what a difference in how rigid the dash is. It's nice to have it back where it belongs (instead of held in by zip ties) and take some of the load off the little screws in the top of the dash.

If I had to do it over, I'd also load up the back of the bracket with some epoxy before I rivetted it on.

Now I need to do the red truck (I have the bracket, just haven't done it).

All wrapped up except for the fog lights and tweaking the alignment of the panels a little, which I'll get done this weekend.

Those HID projectors are mind boggling. When I pulled out onto the street last night, I had a bit of a panic moment because they're so bright, and even though I'd spent the time to aim them properly, they reached so far down the road. So, I got Cherie to drive the truck while I drove her car, both driving towards each other, and her following me. The cut-off is so sharp, that, except when the truck hits a bump, there's far less glare and impact to other drivers than with the regular lights. All of the details of the other running lights and city lights can be easily seen.

Phenomenal difference. High beams are almost an afterthought.

I did have to fiddle with the high beam solenoid connectors, and one of the conversion installs was a little loose, so the required some "finishing," but overall I'm very happy.
View attachment 103678
That’s so cool

Staying with the stock heads. I am putting the 60 lb injectors I had from the red truck in it to get ahead of the mid-mount turbo that I'll EVENTUALLY get around to.

Pushrods (just some Trick Flows I had on the shelf) were too short, so it won't be buttoned up until probably Thursday. My body reminds me that I'm 57 now, not 37. Climbing in and out of that engine compartment has left some sore spots!

I threw the clothes I was wearing away....

Staying with the stock heads. I am putting the 60 lb injectors I had from the red truck in it to get ahead of the mid-mount turbo that I'll EVENTUALLY get around to.

Pushrods (just some Trick Flows I had on the shelf) were too short, so it won't be buttoned up until probably Thursday. My body reminds me that I'm 57 now, not 37. Climbing in and out of that engine compartment has left some sore spots!

I threw the clothes I was wearing away....
I like your plan. I was just under my truck taking some measurements and getting an idea where my twin turbos will go.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Back