1994 Indy Lightning Info

tbenvie

I am researching the various cars and trucks used at the Indy 500 for an upcoming book and am almost finished with the 1994 Lightning.
1994 is somewhat confusing to many. The actual Pace Car was a 1994 Mustang GT and five were sent to Roush to be converted to Pace Car specs. Besides mechanical and suspension work they also received the facias from the Cobra. All 1000 Cobras were standard shift, not what the Speedway wanted in the cars used at the track. Though many think a Cobra was converted to automatic, it was the other way around. There were also Mustang GTs supplied to the 500 Festival Directors, USAC and Track Officials, and local dignitaries. (The final number was 108 Mustang GTs provided). All the VINs of the Mustangs are on my Facebook Group for the 1994 race. I have also been able to find 992 out of 1000 Cobras with complete build data, also in the group pages.

Besides the Mustangs a number of other vehicles were supplied by Ford: Windstars, Taurus, Crown Vics, even an Expedition. An assignment list was produced that showed the VINs, colors, model, and to whom they were assigned, plus a track assigned number. Though I have most of them for 1970 up, I do not have 1994 as they were prepared by a different company than the other years. There were 8 red F250s used by the Fire Patrol and I do have that info. There were also white F250s but I do not have this info. Lastly, there were white Ford Lightnings supplied. Though there are a variety of numbers out there, the best I could find is nine used at the track-and these were not for drivers or dignitaries. They were work trucks and used as such. I have a picture of one with a work rack and equipment onboard. I also do not have all the numbers assigned (they would be in the lower left windshield, rear lower left window, and license plate if they had one (only if they were to be driven on the public street. Not all had them). I did find some with numbers 72-77-the other three would be part of this sequence but not sure where they fit.
The trucks were all equipped the same-mainly, barely equipped. Non sliding back window for the Ford decal, AM/FM cassette with clock, and the tube rear bumper. They did not have front license plate brackets or an alarm. The best way to authenticate one is the DSO 89 on the door sticker. DSO is for Domestic Special Order and have been used on Ford vehicles since at least the 60s. Each Zone would have a number assigned to it so it is easy to see where a car was delivered. The code 89 meant it was for Ford use and not shipped to a dealer.

It said one of the early trucks was painted white for the introduction and photo op, but it is not known which one at this time. There is truth that one of them was destroyed by Ford, but unknown why. Of the other 8, one was last registered in 2004, another in 2006, and still another in 2012. The other five are still registered. Attached are the VINs and where and when last registered.

If there is any other info to share I would love to have it. Thanks

Attachments

• 1994Indy Lightnings.png
    1994Indy Lightnings.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 1994 Indy Lightning 1.jpg
    1994 Indy Lightning 1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 90813394_3141153395895291_3953997319908622336_n.jpg
    90813394_3141153395895291_3953997319908622336_n.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 28
Welcome, very interesting information. Some of our members have owned pace trucks and others have a wealth of info, hopefully they will post :)

I think technically that's just "Official Truck", Raymond, rather than "Pace Truck."

Very interesting information!! I'd love to have a sticker set for my white '94.

Attachments

• x1994 Indy Lightning from SVT Enthusiast Mar 2009.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 3
I forget where I got these, but they were said to have been pics of one of the 4 true Indys.

Attachments

• Indy Lightning-4.jpg
    Indy Lightning-4.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Indy Lightning-3.jpg
    Indy Lightning-3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Indy Lightning-2.jpg
    Indy Lightning-2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Indy Lightning-1.jpg
    Indy Lightning-1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 18
I have that article and there are a few pieces of incorrect information. As noted, the Pace Cars and Festival Cars were Mustang GTs, not Cobras. The Festival Cars were not assigned to any drivers. They were however used in the 500 Festival Parade and carried a driver for the fans to see but that is the extent of drivers with the Festival Cars. There were nine Lightning trucks at the track as a mid April build date left plenty of time to get them there. Six were on display for the track opening festivities, along with other vehicles, but not all the vehicles were on display. They were not some of the early white trucks as they began production late February. Ford did paint an early built truck for photo ops and announcements for the Indianapolis Auto Show where the Cobra was introduced as the Pace Car, not uncommon at the time. The show was December 30,1993-January 1, 1994. Except for the Mustang GTs, all the other Ford vehicles at the track were known as "Official Truck" or "Official Car", also a common practice at the time. A CarFax of the nine trucks shows they were all issued Michigan titles as corporate fleet vehicles Friday, May 27, two days prior to the race. (A number of the Mustang GTs from the track were also titled that day). After the race the cars were auctioned to dealers. The trucks were auctioned June 24 and August 8.

In the pictures posted you can see the small white numbers on the lower left windshield and rear window. All the vehicles at the track had these numbers, and still do.

Ten '94 white-Ls were ordered, only 6 were delivered in time, and 2 of those were red-Ls repainted white. The repainted Ls were "stand-ins" and not actually used at the race, so technically there were only 4 true "Indy Lightnings." Here's the article from SVTOA's Enthusiast Magazine:

I wrote the article about the Lightning on display at the unveiling of the 1994 SVT Pace Car Mustang in Indianapolis in December of 1993. The truck was photographic by me and was only utilized for promotional display by Ford for a number of months afterwards. I have always assumed that truck and another built for display purposes were destroyed after their duties with Ford because of liability reasons. During a visit to the Indianapolis Speedway a month prior to the race only six were acknowledged by SVT management at the time. Another article later stated that two more trucks were used at the track for the month of May. I tracked the trucks after the event, and it appears that most of the truck went to a Ford dealership out of state and were advertised for sale through that dealership. The Lightning truck was featured on a poster given away free during the Indy 500-month complimenting a poster of the 1994 SVT Cobra convertible also being given away. See the photo attached.

Attachments

• Poster 2 picture.jpg
    Poster 2 picture.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 13
Great info here! I have two of the posters. One was hanging in an abandoned office at the Michigan truck plant. I work there and someone stumbled on the framed poster. Grabbed it for me.
KID

Here is the location of the first sale of each of the Indy Lightnings

Attachments

• 94  Indy Lightning-1st sale.png
    94 Indy Lightning-1st sale.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 19
1994 Lightning trucks #1 and #2 were painted black (code YC, not US-Black Clearcoat). These may have been the two painted white. they were indeed scrapped. The first six trucks (5 black, one red (Code WA, not WH) were made in 1993, so the repainted one used at the Pace Car intro has to be one of these 6. Waiting to hear from SVT.

Wow guys some great history here, thanks so much for sharing so many specifics and details!

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I think technically that's just "Official Truck", Raymond, rather than "Pace Truck."

Jeff, not sure if he still has them but Steve Stock had some made when he owned his white 94. I remember him having and extra set not sure if he sold them or not.

Jeff, not sure if he still has them but Steve Stock had some made when he owned his white 94. I remember him having and extra set not sure if he sold them o
Here is the location of the first sale of each of the Indy Lightnings
I'll see if I can get the guy I know with one in Louisiana to reply. If I'm not mistaken I believe there are 2 now in Louisiana.

Back