My Mom's 1986 Ford Crown Victoria

In the case with my Grand Marquis; sockets interfere with the side of the primary tubes; which are not notched. For those 2 bolts; I can get away with a hex head header bolt; but would prefer an allen-head bolt when I get around to cutting an allen key down.

Done, but not the way I would like it. I did learn some things though. The exhaust is almost up against the floorboard. I might have issues with the cutouts because they are the lowest point of the exhaust and I couldn't push them far enough back to clear the floorboards without sacrificing the mufflers that I want to run. As you can see, I like to use flanges; but they add quite a few inches to the exhaust. But I wasn't too crazy about Stainless Works headers and cats being a slip fit for one another; that's just asking for trouble down the line. Plus, flanges make taking the exhaust apart much easier. Hopefully this will make the oil dipstick tube removal/replacement easier for the mechanic.

I realized that I just don't have the equipment, proper place, and skills to make this work the way I wanted it to. The mufflers, although moved towards the front of the car a bit, are still very close to the axle. And I don't have enough room to put the S-pipe to raise the mufflers; and definitely won't be running tailpipes. So, I did the only thing that I could think of and use 2 aviation clamps linked together and hung the mufflers; then used the clamps to raise them up a little. They point upwards now; but I don't fear them scraping anything. This is a job that I can't do without a welder. That has been the problem all along (with both cars).

I also scouted my current commute to work. There are a couple spots that I will want to avoid with my car. I will see what I have in store for me when I put the car back on the ground; hopefully tonight if I get back early enough to load the tune and fire her up.

IMG_1777 (1).JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

Hopefully this will end the talk about this car for a little bit; and I can start thinking about the Crown Vic again; probably next Spring, as I have a house project for this winter.

This is a job that I can't do without a welder.

Seems some kind of welder is pretty much a requirement in a DIY garage nowadays. I have a MIG, but have been looking for a TIG for both exhaust and intake piping work.

V-bands. And a welder.

The things I use mine for. The wife broke the wagon she uses to haul stuff in at dog agility trials. It won't break again! My welds are a big more substantial than the Chinese spot welds that were on it.

One of my neighbors is pretty good with a TIG, so I'll tack the mid mount turbo setup together with the MIG and then buy him dinner and some beer to make it nice for me.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

That was my Dad back in the day. He is/was the pipefitter/metal fab/welder in the house. I knew how to weld when I was a kid; but lousy neighbors and me getting in trouble put an end to that.

So it's been a few months since my last post. Life kinda happened in the interim. I haven't touched the Crown Vic yet. Kinda disappointed with myself about that. Work kind of took over my time. Having staffing issues there which is consuming my time. I tiled 1/3 of my parent's bathroom in March. Ran into issues like usual with that project (110+ year old house) that will push it into the Fall. Haven't done tile work in 14 years, so it took a bit of time to get a little work done. But I am happy with the results.

I still haven't got tailpipes put on the Grand Marquis. Unfortunately, I am getting used to the noise. I popped the caps off the cutouts when we had that 90*F stretch; and the Merc is very loud! Much worse than/louder than my sbc Malibu with open headers. I am currently dealing with an aging brake system with this car too. I think my 18 year old brake hose(s) are getting soft from the heat in traffic; causing them to suck itself shut and preventing the calipers from backing off the rotor(s). At the end of the commute, the car is dragging on the brakes and begins to wobble by the time I leave the highway. I am getting all the pieces together for the C5 caliper/GT500 rotor swap. While I am at it, I will change out the rear calipers as well. So, this car is taking up more time that should be spent on the hot rod Crown Vic. I hope to get back to work on that car; and return my Merc to the quiet commuter car that it should be.

Is there ever enough time?

I actually have this coming weekend to myself, so it's time to swap cams in the daily driver.

^^^^^^Nice!!!!^^^^^^

We were cleaning our storage pods for my job yesterday and I scored two 5-gallon gas jugs. This is convenient as my first task with the Crown Vic is to siphon out the old gas and put in fresh stuff (again). Before I put in fresh gas; I will reinstall the A9P and make sure it's working properly.

A few weeks ago, we had a ton of rain come down; and a piece of my neighbor's playhouse floated under the Crown Vic (our backyards become a lake with copious amounts of rainfall). I just noticed the red piece of plastic last weekend whilst mowing. Climbed underneath to fish it out and looked at everything. Was surprised to see that there isn't much rust under that car; or at least no more than what I had when I parked the car 7 years ago. Was pleasantly surprised/reminded that I had used -4 AN hose when I replaced the flexible section of brake line. Since I have -4 AN PTFE hose for my Grand Marquis brake upgrade; I will use the leftovers for the Crown Vic. And I will replace the rear hard line while I am at it. Then the Crown Vic will have brand new brakes except for the rear drums.

It's funny the things we forget. I've been dealing with that a lot lately... coming across something that I did at some point in the past 30 years, but I don't remember it at all! :rolleyes:

I think I used regular -4 AN hose; and not the PTFE. The braided steel on that section of hose is rusted up. Which is strange because my Mom didn't put that many miles on the car after I rebuilt the rear diff. Weather permitting; I am going to put a little time into the Crown Vic this weekend. I am going to focus on either reinstalling the A9P; or siphoning out the old fuel.

Well, that was 4 mos ago; and I did nothing with that car. But this passed weekend, I took a little time to take a gander and discovered something surprising. We have a lot of wildlife in the backyard now; including 1 feral cat. I suspected that it's a female as I can't smell cat piss back there. So naturally, I opened the tarp and cleared the cobwebs out from under the car to inspect it for odors. When I got into the engine compartment; I noticed a short 8AWG wire with ring terminals on both ends. It was sitting on the core support/Ford tool tray. I scratched some more hair off my balding head for a few hours trying to ID that wire. Then I remembered that my Powermaster starter didn't come with wiring instructions or a wiring diagram. At the time when I installed it, I wired the starter like the OEM starter was wired. I may have errored in doing that. I went to their website to find the instructions, but they don't have anything available for that model starter (9403). But, they have wiring diagrams and instructions for their other starters for the small block Windsor Ford engines. I noticed that Powermaster had in bold print that Ford vehicles with a remote starter solenoid must have a jumper wire installed between the battery terminal and the ignition terminal on the starter. Even though it is for other models of starters; I wondered if that applies to mine? So I sent them an e-mail this morning asking that question. I just got a reply and it's confirmed; I needed to have that jumper wire for the starter. I wonder if that was the cause of the "no start" with the key condition? I am going to have to find the time to siphon all the old gas out, put in new gas (with a lot of cleaner), and prime the engine to find out if that was part of my problems.

Coincidentally, I just tested positive for COVID; and I had just planned on doing some work on the Crown Vic. I guess this will have to wait for a couple weeks. Freaking annoying!

Sounds like a good time to work on it! I had the 'rona back in January. I had a couple of lousy days, but otherwise felt fine. I was wiped out on a Monday, blah on a Tuesday, but would've gone back to work on Wednesday if it hadn't've been Covid. So, I got to sit at home another week and a half twiddling my thumbs.

Hopefully it's as easy on you.

So, this afternoon I decided that I couldn't quarantine on a day like this (still testing + for COVID); so I went outside to get a breather. Which lead to me uncovering the Crown Vic for the 1st time in over a year. Cleaned the cobwebs from under the car to get a good look at the starter. I forgot that the ignition wire is fastened to the starter lug with a spade terminal. So I took the 8AWG jumper wire I originally crimped together; cut the ring terminal off; and spliced it into the ignition wire. Then I went back outside and stuck that on the starter. When I get around to siphoning the 2 year old gas out of the tank; I will make a concerted effort to trying another 1st start attempt. Hoping that this jumper wire (or lack thereof) was the reason for the no crank with the key.

IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG

I got a lot of cleaning to do. Having done nothing to the car in over a year; the critters made a mess in the engine compartment. Something made a nest of insulation right below the cowl; so I have to go in the car and figure out where that insulation came from. The car has no hood; and even if it did; I peeled the insulation off ages ago. So before that 1st start attempt, I will hit with the shop vac real good and inspect the inside of the car for any other damage.

Back